First opened in 1962, Schweitzer Mountain Resort is considered by many as the the best family-friendly resort in the Pacific Northwest. On our arrival at the resort, feel free to stroll through the village shops, galleries and eateries where you can grab a cup of coffee or a snack. Then, enjoy a short, guided tour through the Selkirk Lodge lobby that showcases a collection of black and white photographs by Ross Hall, one of the Pacific Northwest's most iconic and prolific photographers. Next, we'll head for the Great Escape Quad chairlift (your tour includes unlimited rides) for a breathtaking, scenic ride to the top of Schweitzer Mountain. Along the ride, take in the sweeping views of Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille, as well as three states, Idaho, Montana, Washington and even Canada.
Once at the top, your guide will provide an interpretive walk and talk including the history of the Ice Age Floods that carved out the region some 13,000 to 18,000 years ago. Next, enjoy some free time to explore... Take in the fabulous 360 degree views from the Sky House at the summit where you can enjoy a beverage, snack or a casual meal on the expansive deck. If you feel like stretching your legs, stroll around the summit loops for more fabulous views of the Lake and neighboring mountain ranges. For the more adventurous, you can hike all the way down the mountain on the Nature Trail (one of our favorites) or enjoy the short hike to Picnic Point. If you just feel like chillin', grab your favorite beverage, hop on the chairlift, ride some laps and enjoy the view. You can also experience the mountain with a game of disc golf or go on a high tech treasure hunt with geocaching - both activities have locations in the village and at the summit.
Finally, for the young or young at heart, once at the resort, you may choose to purchase The Ultimate Fun Pass (additional $20/adult, $10/ages 7 & under), which includes: unlimited jumps on the trampoline jumper, unlimited climbs on the climbing wall, unlimited trips down the zip line (ages 8 & older) and one sack of jewels for the Cranky Jennings Sluice Box.
This is a fabulous outdoor adventure you won't want to miss!
Tour List Price Includes:
- 4 1/2 Hour Guided Tour (Approx.)
- 1 Featured Stop
- Numerous points of interest along the route
- Unlimited chairlift rides to the summit (up and down) on the Great Escape Quad
- Access to Schweitzer Mountain's numerous attractions and activities. The Ultimate Fun Pass may be purchased directly from the resort for additional fee. Disc golf rentals are available for $5 fee at the Activities Center.
- Enlightening and entertaining commentary by your local guide
- Complimentary bottled water
- For your convenience, spray mister bottles, umbrellas, binoculars and lap blankets are available for use
- Good vibes in a vintage VW bus
- Note: Applicable tour taxes and fees and gratuity for your guide are not included
Things You Need To Know:
- A 2-guest minimum is required for this tour. We will contact you by the morning of your tour if we need to reschedule.
- The bus can accommodate up to 7 guests. Seating is first come, first served.
- Ages 5 and under are permitted only when reserving the entire bus for a private tour. Just choose the "Wanna Make It A Private Tour" option on the Book Now calendar.
- Please bring appropriate child seating.
- This tour is "weather permitting." We will contact you by the morning of your tour if we need to reschedule.
- Temperatures on the mountain can be 10-20 degrees cooler than in town, so please dress accordingly. Layers are recommended.
- Sun protection of your choice is highly recommended
- We suggest closed toe shoes or hiking sandals for this tour
- Tip: If geocaching, download a geocaching app to your smartphone before the tour
- Some age and weight restrictions apply for certain activities. Closed toe shoes with a secured heel are required for the zip line.
- PICK-UP and DROP-OFF for this tour is at the Foster's Crossing Parking Lot at 504 Oak St. in Sandpoint. Look for the blue Feelin' Groovy VW bus. Free public parking is available in this lot and the city lot across the street at 513 Oak St.
Featured on this tour:
Schweitzer Mountain Resort
Plenty of exciting events and activities are happening year around at Schweitzer, one of the northwest's premier ski and recreation areas.